Once your 2014 federal taxes have been submitted to the Internal Revenue Service, remember to update your 2015-2016 FAFSA with this new data. Students and the parents of dependent aid applicants may use the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Data Retrieval Tool to import federal income tax information from the IRS directly into your FAFSA.
To update your FAFSA, follow these steps:
If you have trouble using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, please call us at 888.7.GRADUATE, x119 for assistance.
- Go to www.fafsa.gov and login using the returning user section.
- Once logged in, go to the Financial Information section and click "Link to IRS." Be sure you are on the TAB for Financial Information (which starts with the Parent information) in your FAFSA. Change the tax filing status to "Already Completed" and follow the prompts to leave the FAFSA website and go to the IRS website.
- On the IRS website, complete the requested fields and click on "Transfer my tax information into the FAFSA." Proceed to follow the prompts back to your FAFSA.
- If the student has filed taxes as well, please repeat this process in the Student section of the FAFSA.
- Remember to re-sign and submit your FAFSA, using both the Student and Parent PIN numbers.