Please Note: You must have flash enabled in your browser to view our stickynote messages.
Become a College Coach for Your Child
It is never too early to become a college coach for your student. Children start thinking about college at an early age and we are here to help you get them ready. Studies have consistently shown two things: 1) parents who have the necessary knowledge and timely information can increase their students’ success in school, assist in college planning, and increase the likelihood their child will pursue education beyond high school; and 2) students who begin planning and who are exposed to college from very early in their educational career are more likely to view college as a viable option.
What can you do now to prepare your child for the challenges of tomorrow?
- When higher education is an expectation rather than a possibility, students will rise to meet the challenge. Students will work to their potential if given the structure and encouragement they need.
- Communicate with your child's school counselors and teachers.
- Academic quality is the single most important piece of the college admissions application.
- Help your child to plan an academic program that preserves choices after graduation. Remember, that meeting graduation requirements does not always mean meeting college entrance requirements.
- It is critical that parents establish and support good study habits.
- Subscribe to newspapers and magazines. Be sure your child sees you reading - you are his/her educational mentor.
- Seek opportunities for your child to develop academic, athletic and creative talents. Remember, nurturing your child's gift or talent is much different than pressure to succeed.
- Encourage decision-making and discuss consequences of decisions.
- Talk with your child about your own experience with school. Discuss how studying different subjects in school has helped you be successful in life. (From measuring ingredients and balancing the checkbook to acquiring career skills.)
- Always remember that you are the greatest influence in your child's life.
We invite you and your student to visit www.nhcollegeclub.com for helpful resources, games and more to get a jumpstart on planning for your child's future.